Over 30,000 people have died in Gaza,
As the humanitarian crisis worsens and Israel restricts aid delivery to Gaza, the toll in the Palestinian enclave rises.
The Ministry of Health in the besieged enclave reports that more than 70 Palestinians have died after Israeli soldiers opened fire on them while they were collecting food aid in the Gaza Strip. Since the start of Israel’s war on Gaza almost five months ago, Over 30,000 people have died in Gaza.
The ministry’s report on Thursday was released in the midst of a worsening humanitarian catastrophe in Gaza, where starvation is imminent, and Israeli military threats to invade Rafah, where 1.5 million people—the majority of whom are war refugees—are seeking refuge.
The head of the World Health Organisation, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, demanded a truce on social media, stating that the “horrific violence and suffering” had to stop. He said that about 70,000 Palestinians had suffered injuries.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu reaffirmed a few days ago that the campaign against Rafah, the primary entrance gateway for desperately needed supplies of food and medicine, “will happen,” despite worldwide outrage.
He said that an assault on the congested city would only be “delayed” by a captive-prison swap agreement that is being negotiated as part of discussions for an Israel-Hamas truce that are being mediated by Qatar, Egypt, and the United States.
“If that area becomes the centre of the conflict, that would have a devastating impact yet again on the ability of aid agencies to move food into these population areas that need it so much,” Willem Marx of Al Jazeera reported from occupied East Jerusalem.
Samantha Power, the director of USAID, stated that Israel needed to open more crossings in order to allow for a “dramatic surge” of “vitally needed humanitarian assistance,” citing the worsening conditions in Gaza. In a video that was uploaded on X, she declared, “This is a matter of life and death.”
Additionally, the Israeli force has consistently targeted Palestinians who are holding out for the scant food aid supplies that are available.
At least 70 Palestinians were killed in an attack on Thursday that the Palestinian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates called a cold-blooded “massacre” after troops opened fire on residents in Gaza City who were waiting for wheat for their family.
It was also claimed that day that at least thirty Palestinians had been murdered in different attacks in the Gaza refugee camps of Nuseirat, Bureij, and Khan Younis by Israeli airstrikes and shelling.
Due to the overwhelming number of inpatients, hospitals are collapsing. According to Health Ministry spokesman Ashraf al-Qudra, children have died at Gaza City’s al-Shifa hospital “due to malnutrition, dehydration and widespread famine,” and he has appealed for “immediate action” from international agencies.
According to the ministry, 8,800 women and over 13,000 children have died in the fighting so far, out of the 30,035 individuals who have died. There have been at least 70,457 injuries, with over 11,000 of those requiring evacuation due to serious conditions.
One Response